A blog about my life, knitting, and other stuff.

September 3, 2010

Back Home

We took a small family trip up to Vancouver BC. We splurged and stayed at a nice hotel, close to Stanley Park, with not one but two swimming pools. We visited the aquarium. My horribly jaded children stood in front of the beluga tank, with their backs to the whales, and declared that they were bored. You're standing next to a fricking whale! I spent my childhood on Nantucket constantly scanning the horizon for some sign of whales. My one great triumph was when I thought I might have seen a whale's blow waaaaay out on the horizon. My children on the other hand can see whales all over the place and find them passe. I am still charmed and amazed to make eye contact with a whale.

There are lots of other great sights at the squarium.

Outside the aquarium we had our second run-in with raccoons. The first was on Denman St. on Saturday night after dinner. One just popped out of a bush in front of us and lopped his way down the sidewalk pausing to try to cross the busy street then thinking the better of it.

Outside the aquarium a mother with three babies hopped out of the bushes and approached people to beg for food.

I don't know about you but when a raccoon marches up to me I back away quickly. I don't pull out my camera and see how close I can get to it.

We went to the PNE. The last time Wes and I went was for our honeymoon.

They were holding an international sand sculpture competition.

I took many more photos of cute animals.

They had this amazingly huge breed of Italian ox. Here is Wes for scale.

Younger son and I were waiting for Wes and older son to ride the wooden roller coaster (too rickety for me) and stumbled into the Agrodome just in time to see the RCMP Musical Ride. We literally had the best seats in the house. We were in the front row next to the roped off area for the dignitaries. I took a few really blurry phone-camera photos.

The food is amazing in Vancouver. We ate a lot of Japanese and Chinese food. One morning for breakfast we were struck by the incredibly color of Wes's eggs.

I'm nearly done with Audrey in Unst but forgot a needle for the second sleeve cuff while I was in Vancouver. I also still need to knit the bands. In the meantime I am flying through a sample sweater for the shop. I'm knitting the smallest size on US8s. I finished the back and both fronts already!


knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Sounds like such a fun time!

I'm with you though - when wild creatures approach, I rapidly withdrawl. I'm not a big fan of rabies, but that's just me.

Makes me think that our family needs to visit Vancouver.

C@ said...

Holy cow that's a big cow!

Elizabeth said...

I bet those eggs were free range. The yokes are much more intense.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Elizabeth said...

oops, I meant "yolks." How embarrassing.

Nancy said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip - we usually head to Victoria or other points on Vancouver Island, but think maybe we'll have to make an exception and go for Vancouver itself next time. Great pictures!