- The pickles from last week came out really great. We pickled thinly sliced raw beets based on this recipe. We used a jalapeno instead of Thai chiles. They are sweet and really crispy. We've been enjoying them (probably too much) with feta and crackers. Goat cheese would be great too but we had the feta already. The radishes were done based on this recipe. We put radishes, red onion, jalapeno and garlic in together. The white vinegar/water brine has a really potent, nose stinging kick. Not bad but strong. I think I'd like a wine vinegar or cider vinegar next time. We're not eating the garlic because it's still a big chunk of raw garlic but the onions and chiles mellowed a lot.
- Angry Birds is super-addictive. Like really, really addictive. Wes and I were up until nearly 2:30 last playing. Neither of us are terribly proud of this.
- We went to see Scott Pilgrim vs. the World on Friday. We all loved it. If you like rock, comic books, Michael Cera, and/or video games this is a really fun time at the movies. We liked it so much that we bought the entire set of the books and got the soundtrack.
- We also went to see Toy Story 3 again. We did it mainly to get out of the heat but, damn, what a great film. I wept uncontrollably for the last 15 minutes again.
- We hid out at the mall today so I
played dress uptried on clothes. I found the perfect Joan Holloway dress.
Sadly I have nowhere I could ever wear this dress unless I suddenly start working at a law firm or go back in time. It's so hard to find a dress with sleeves that's flattering to a full figure.
- My kingdom for a shirt that doesn't have jewels, beads or twelve pounds of ruffles on it! The pickings are so slim right now. At least the colors this season are more reasonable. Lots of soft grays and medium blues and none of that coral and screaming teal from last summer. I went into Banana Republic today and it looks like the entire shop was designed by Leanne from season 5 of Project Runway. All of this reminded me of here work in terms of the color palette and the soft ruffles. I think I might try adding some ruffles or rosettes or something to some of my shirts that I've gotten stains on. Better than throwing them out, right?
- Gosh, it's hot.
August 15, 2010
I keep blogging things. But only in my mind. So here's just a list of a bunch of stuff I've been wanting to share.